Core Values and Objectives
1. Promote sociology
- Promote sociology as an academic discipline that aims to improve understanding of society and social processes through research, teaching and public engagement.
- Encourage sociologists to take part in debates and make an impact on important societal issues, where appropriate.
- Provide a strong and well-respected voice at relevant major policy and funding platforms in the UK.
- Offer an effective and regular presence in the conventional media, in social media, and through an effective website, full of useful and current resources.
- Develop strong and collaborative working partnerships with cognate national and international organizations and associations.
2. Support sociologists
- Be the natural home of researchers and teachers of sociology in the UK and the first port of call for anyone seeking advice or information about sociology in the UK.
- Provide information about the discipline of sociology in the UK and useful and current resources for both members and external users.
- Offer a broad programme of events, including high-profile public events.
- Strengthen links with schools and colleges and sociologists outside of academia.
- Support sociologists at all stages of the career spectrum (with particular focus on early careers in the period 2017-2019).
3. Sustain the British Sociological Association
- Act as the UK’s national subject association for the discipline of sociology.
- Develop the range and quality of publications.
- Diversify financial resources.
- Maintain effective, stable and motivated staff, trustees and volunteers.
Strategic priorities 2017-2019
- Increase number of academic sociologists in membership
- Increase number of Heads and Professors of Sociology in membership
- Broaden membership base further beyond academia
- Develop and implement database of sociologists to champion sociology
- Develop regional mentoring cafes for early career researchers
- Develop and implement strategy to address diversity within BSA
- Develop public engagement initiatives including social media
- Develop the journals
- Explore property purchase to house the BSA office
- Promote and facilitate legacies and donations