We hold data types such as: name, contact details, age, sex, direct debit details, events attended, membership details, roles within the BSA. We store all data securely.
We use your data for activities such as: event bookings and abstract submissions; membership; journal and magazine circulation; payment processing; expense claims. We provide your data to third party providers who help us provide you with services – such as SAGE to send members their journals and postal providers to send members copies of Network and the Sociology Teacher.
We do not sell your data to any third party providers.
We invite you to opt in to receive news, updates and marketing information from us when you become a member, register for an event or submit an abstract for an event. You can opt out at any time by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org
The British Sociological Association ("We") are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the Act), the data controller is The British Sociological Association of Chancery Court, Belmont Business Park, Belmont, Durham, DH1 1TW.
We may collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our site www.britsoc.co.uk (our site) or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. This includes information you provide when you register to use our site, subscribe to our service, become a member or renew your membership, register for an event or participate in discussion boards or other social media functions on our site, and when you report a problem with our site. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform;
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL) clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time); products you viewed or searched for; page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page and any phone number used to call our customer service number.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our website. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our website, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. They allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors and to see how visitors move around our website when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our website. This enables us to personalise our content for you, greet you by name and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
- Targeting cookies. These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed. We will use this information to make our website and the advertising displayed on it more relevant to your interests. We may also share this information with third parties for this purpose.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
The cookie used to convey your authentication when you are logged in.
The cookie used by the framework we used to build this site
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other events, products and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you, or permit selected third parties to provide you, with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about goods and services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you. If you are a new customer, and where we permit selected third parties to use your data, we (or they) will contact you by electronic means only if you have consented to this.
- to notify you about changes to our service;
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so;
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of our site about goods or services that may interest you or them.
Disclosure of your information
We may share your information with selected third parties including:
- Business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with them or you.
- Analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our site.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties:
- In the event that we sell or buy any business or assets, in which case we may disclose your personal data to the prospective seller or buyer of such business or assets.
- If The British Sociological Association or substantially all of its assets are acquired by a third party, in which case personal data held by it about its members will be one of the transferred assets.
Retention of Your Data
- We will retain your personal information for as long as we need it for purposes we collected, according to the applicable laws. Thereafter, we will either delete your personal information or de-identify it so that it is anonymous and not attributed to your identity. If you want to update the personal information we have, you can do so by updating your preferences, opting out of any communications we send to you or by emailing us at email@example.com
Our commitment to security
- We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure and in order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online, to maintain data security and correctly use the information we collect. We follow accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it.
- No method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, can be 100% secure. Therefore, we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information. The internet by its nature is a public forum, and BSA encourages you to use caution when disclosing information online. Often, you are in the best situation to protect yourself online.
- Access to the information which you have provided will be limited to authorised employees as required for the purposes identified above as well as IT security and maintenance.
Where we store your personal data
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to request a copy of the information that we hold about you. If you would like a copy of the information that we hold about you please email enquiries@britsoc,org.uk.
We want to make sure that the information that we hold is up to date therefore you may ask us to remove or correct the personal data that we hold about you that you may think is inaccurate.
You also have the right to erase or restrict your personal data, object to processing and also withdraw your consent to prevent us processing your personal data.
If you prefer not to receive communications from BSA, please email enquiries@britsoc,org.uk.
If you are not happy with the way we have processed your information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You have the right to lodge a complaint with the UK supervisory authority the Information Commissioners Office.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.