The establishment of a Study Group dedicated to the visual cultural dimensions of human society provides a professional focal point for this important and expanding field of sociological scholarship and research. The group was formed in January 2006.
Aims and Objectives of the Group
- To provide an organizational context in which to bring together academics and researchers from a number of areas within sociology who have an interest in the visual;
- To provide a forum to allow for the critical development, building and elaboration of visual sociological theorizing and related discourses;
- To develop new and refine existing visual sociological methodologies;
- To develop professional practice protocols for the ethics of visual sociological research;
- To create a context in which professional networking and constructive interdisciplinary communication can take place;
- To seek a professional interaction with the International Visual Sociology Association (IVSA); its intellectual explorations and its established hub for visual sociologists.
The Visual Sociology Study Group Annual Report is now available.