The purpose of this study group then, is to provide a space in which social scientists working in and with the arts, in its various guises, can come together to exchange ideas, thoughts and arguments. Though the theoretical frameworks discussed in this group may relate to other study areas, this group provides those with an specific interest in the arts a space in which to consider how art is valued, understood, and practiced in our social world.
Aims & Objectives
- To provide a space in which academics with a specific interest in the arts can come together and share ideas, thoughts, and arguments.
- To offer the opportunity for critical development and exploration of theory and practice relating to the arts.
- To create opportunities for collaboration and professional networking for those working, and interested, in the sociology of the arts, both within the context of sociology and across other disciplines.
- To foster inter- and trans-disciplinary thinking and research in the sociology of the arts, and to develop new ideas about art which are of international significance.
- To link in productive ways with study groups within the BSA dealing with related areas.
- To work with BSA conference organisers in arranging themed streams at the BSA conference.
- To organise seminars and other events for BSA members interested in the arts.
- To engage with the BSA journal Cultural Sociology, and to propose special sections and editions of the journal which come out of the study group's activities.
- To forge links with practitioners in the arts and cultural industries.
- To promote the BSA and sociology within major higher education institutions where the arts are taught.