The WEEL study group was established in 2003 by Tracey Warren and Tim Strangleman and Colette Fagan, but due to the changing family and job commitments of the convenors, it lapsed. It was re-established in 2010.
The aims of the WEEL group are to:
- Exchange and develop ideas by attracting new and existing BSA members to the WEEL group and its activities.
- Encourage collaboration and lend support within a long tradition of British sociologists.
- Encourage research and publication around the sociology of work, employment and economic life.
- To develop a programme of events including building on the strength of the 'Work and Economy' stream at the annual BSA conferences; a series of themed seminars/ workshops; and a postgraduate forum.
- Act as a valuable to the activities of the key BSA journal Work, Employment and Society.
- To develop links with other BSA study groups and non sociologists interested in the fields of work and employment.
The Work, Employment and Economic Life Study Group Annual Report is now available.