The policy relevance of Citizenship Studies makes it particularly important to reach out to the wider community and accommodate the interests of disadvantaged groups in society that could benefit from such research. In so doing, it is believed that a BSA Citizenship Study Group would provide the necessary means through which this process can be facilitated.
- To foster a network of scholars, practitioners, policymakers and students interested in Citizenship Studies, using both formal and informal connections between groups of colleagues through electronic means and organised events.
- Encourage collaboration and support sociologists working in the area of Citizenship Studies.
- To increase visibility of the discipline.
- To exchange and develop ideas attracting new and existing BSA members to group activities by hosting at least two events a year.
- To provide a space to allow for critical engagement and elaboration of citizenship as a field of study.