Social Mobility, Aspirations, Education and White Working-Class Youth: Urban, Rural and Coastal Contexts
A BSA Sociology of Education Study Group One-Day Conference in association with the Faculty of Education, Canterbury Christ Church University
5 July 2017
Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
This one-day conference, supported by the BSA's Education Study Group, focuses on current research in the area of white working-class youth's social mobility, aspirations and education. The conference will explore – and welcomes paper submissions related to - a range of questions, including:
- What are the aspirations of white working-class youth?
- How do educational institutions and practices define, understand and support these?
- What are the perceptions and lived experiences of white working-class youth within education, and how are these shaped by notions of place within and across urban, rural and coastal contexts?
- Dr Nicola Ingram (Lancaster University); and
- Dr Garth Stahl (University of South Australia)