Social Mobility, Aspirations, Education and White Working-Class Youth: Urban, Rural and Coastal Contexts
A BSA Sociology of Education Study Group One-Day Conference in association with the Faculty of Education, Canterbury Christ Church University
5 July 2017
Canterbury Christ Church University, UK
Call for Papers
This one-day conference, supported by the BSA's Education Study Group, focuses on current research in the area of white working-class youth's social mobility, aspirations and education. The conference will explore – and welcomes paper submissions related to - a range of questions, including:
- What are the aspirations of white working-class youth?
- How do educational institutions and practices define, understand and support these?
- What are the perceptions and lived experiences of white working-class youth within education, and how are these shaped by notions of place within and across urban, rural and coastal contexts?
- Dr Nicola Ingram (Lancaster University); and
- Dr Garth Stahl (University of South Australia)
We welcome papers from researchers from across the career stage and located in a diverse range of fields.
To present, please send an abstract (up to 250 words with your email and institutional affiliation) in Word format to Andrew Peterson.
The deadline for abstracts is Friday, 31 March 2017. This conference accepts papers in English only.